Friday, April 18, 2008

Recovery course - but where is Ron?

What a week! Left Lewis on Saturday not knowing where Ron was, he wasn’t answering his mobile and arrived on the mainland to find he had been admitted to hospital.

Recovery course to start Monday - I´m in big trouble!

His diabetes was way out of control and the doctor was telling me he wouldn’t be out by Monday.

No choice but to start the recovery course on my own. The course participants were fantastic, very supportive and understanding. I ran the first 2 days on my own , all was well , course proceeding as it should, me feeling fairly exhausted though as I run between Arbroath where the children are staying, Ninewells hospital in Dundee and Drumoig Fife where we were doing the training.

Luckily on the third day I receive a phone call from Ron to say he is being discharged and he is on his way to the course, a weight leaves my shoulders as he arrives and immediately stamps his mark on the course.

The course has had some really diverse participants from across the UK. Participants from a personality disorder unit in Colchester, from St mungo’s homelessness charity in London, a new private unit in Welshpool based on recovery, Mind in Birmingham, Glasgow & the Borders health boards, Aberdeen shire social services. Turning point Scotland, Plus Perth, Augment Arbroath, Dundee hearing voices network , Shetland Link and Richmond fellowship Scotland.

This has led to lots of cross fertilisation , new friendships and links and loads of conversation and debate both during the day and at the bar in the evening.

Its now friday morning and I wait in anticipation of the presentations to see what they have to say, they have been a great bunch of human beings.

1 comment:

mickymoo said...

Very sorry to hear Ron has been in the rough. Glad to see he's on the mend though! All the best to you Ron!

I know what diabetes is like. Many of us have got it from taking neuroleptics, in my case Zyprexa.

Glad the course went well.

You both are an inspiration.

Keep up the good work!


Best wishes,
mickymoo