Thursday, January 22, 2009

The winds ....

The winds have dominated our lives over the last few weeks, but Saturdays wind was the strongest so far, with gusts up to 109miles an hour. We lost a pig arc which landed 6 crofts away. It was extremely heavy –Ron & I couldn’t lift it on our own. Walking down the croft the next day the spray & waves coming of the sea was really powerful. There were lots of boats hugging the coastline, weather is always a talking point up here. The local Gaelic speakers greet each other by a comment on the weather.

Even now whilst I am writing this, the winds are growing again. Yet in between we have had beautiful calm days. I have been down to Callanish today. We picked up 2 new piglets a very spotty female & her pink brother, both Tamworth crossed. Ron & his friend Donald have been out mending the pigsty & tidying up the yard. Ron is now moaning that he aches all over, its a long time he has worked so physically hard.

I also popped to Great Bernera to meet Simant & his partner Dizzy, he is a sculptor & she a psychiatric nurse, he does some amazing sculptures based on Celtic mythology. I t was lovely to meet him & I could highly recommend his work.

He uses a lot of spirals in his work, those of you that know me will know about my fascination for them. I hope to get to know them both well over the next few months.

The short days are already getting longer, I have noticed we already have an extra hour of light in the evening since Christmas, & it is 5pm before it is dark. We have almost survived our first winter !



Ron Coleman and Karen Taylor have an international reputation as speakers and authors. They are the directors of ‘Working to Recovery Limited’ an innovative international consultancy, training and publishing company with a cutting edge approach to supporting and improving mental health provision.

No comments: