Thursday, September 3, 2009

Back from Australia


Recovery weave presentation on Recovery Champions course




Tasmania





Rain seemed to follow me around - wet in Perth & Tasmania, been back just over a week and its rained every day. Five weeks of over indulging , eating out most nights, no kids, very little exercise has left me ill prepared for my return to normality. Wading through mud up to the top of my wellingtons to feed the pigs, carrying around bags of coal & animal food , mucking out the animals, sorting out kids, wheel-barrowing loads of stones & gravel to try and make a path through the mud, weeding the vegetables, digging up my onions, planting. I am becoming more and more attached to Western Australia, particularly the Margaret river area. Found out the local rock at the beaches is gneiss the same rock that the standing stones are made of here on Lewis, I am not surprised as the area had the same pull for me, and felt like somewhere I could live.

Again on this trip we met many marvelous people, heard many unbearable stories that confirm again for me that mental illness is much more about what a persons journey has been rather than any biological or genetic malfunction.


Yet people are still being treated with huge doses of medication , cloziril is particularly popular over there, with no regard for the persons story or awful effects these drugs have on people.


Ron returns this Saturday we are both looking forward to going to Maastricht for the world congress on voices, it looks as though its going to be very big & loads of old & new friends will be there





Ron Coleman and Karen Taylor have an international reputation as speakers and authors. They are the directors of ‘Working to Recovery Limited’ an innovative international consultancy, training and publishing company with a cutting edge approach to supporting and improving mental health provision.





No comments: