Monday, September 29, 2008

Hair cuts ....

Ron´s sponsored headshave:
Ron checking where his pony tail used to be as Alex does the finishing touches

Last week Ron & I returned to Drumoig to run our recovery champions course again, it was a small group of 8 people but what a powerful week. Again it was the power of the stories that we heard over the week that drove the course, the question “who am I?” again leading to much reflection, soul searching and honest accounts of where people had been on their journeys so far, what is so amazing is it doesn’t matter whether the course is a mix of workers/consumers what comes out is the human distress, the pain & joys of living our lives, the labels are dropped and real people emerge.


Friday after the course had finished I finally got my hair all cut off again, I tried so hard to grow it but it just wasn’t me I returned home sleeping in the back of the van in Ullapool before catching the Saturday ferry home. Ron’s mum had been looking after the kids so the house was spotless and I couldn’t find a thing!


This week Ron has been running a voices residential week with the help of Dirk Corstens & Eleanor Langdon . It has been hugely successful with several of the participants further on their recovery journeys by the 4th day.


In the midst of the week Ron had his sponsored hair cut in Dundee the evening went well with ron’s pony tail auctioned off for 105 pounds.




Meanwhile I was back at home working hard on the croft, the rest of the potatoes have been harvested & I am really pleased with my first crop. Heidi the goat is now in the old pig pen at night leaving the chickens to themselves again.


Funniest moment this week was going down to the bottom of the croft , the pigs had escaped their pen and were down at the bottom by the fence on the other side were about 40 young cows staring in at them all around the gate, looking totally bemused .


Ron is off to Italy on Monday, I was meant to be going too , but unfortunately our childcare broke down due to family illness so I am staying on the island.








Ron Coleman and Karen Taylor have an international reputation as speakers and authors. They are the directors of ‘Working to Recovery Limited’ an innovative international consultancy, training and publishing company with a cutting edge approach to supporting and improving mental health provision.

No comments: