Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fly me to Southampton....

Spent Monday racing around preparing to leave Lewis for work in Southampton, in southern England. I just made it to airport just as they were closing the gate. First flight went well, then went to check-in for second part of flight from Glasgow to be told that this flight didn’t run any more and that they had e-mailed me to this effect, panic set in what am I going to do , referred to flybe desk, to be told that I could catch flight at 6.45 am to Southampton instead. Now needed an hotel and I had no phone numbers so I could let Southampton know what was happening, quick phone call to Ron to see if he could sort that out from home and I concentrated on finding a bed.

Eventually picked up from airport at 8.20 am by Joan the matron of the Forensic unit, we had never met but found each other straight away. She took me for a quick tour of her unit before we made our way to the training venue. I had 23 forensic staff for 3 days on recovery and person centred planning.. they seemed quite a quiet group at first but soon got stuck in ,stretching me and myself stretching and challenging them. I love this kind of facilitation, so much is dependant on the relationship I can build with the team in the first few hours, I suppose this mirrors & models what we have to do in our jobs as recovery workers building the relationship , creating trust, creating the environment for challenge and growth.

Joan was a fantastic host taking me for a long walk in the new forest we saw many deer including a beautiful stag. Also drank some good ale in some great proper pubs. Many thanks to her for her wonderful hospitality.

The last afternoon the team did an action plan of how they were going to take recovery forward. There was so much enthusiasm and motivation in the room, I can’t wait to go back next year and to see how they are progressing.

Before I knew it I was back in Stornoway, Friday morning at 8am, shopping in Tesco’s before returning home.





Ron Coleman and Karen Taylor have an international reputation as speakers and authors. They are the directors of ‘Working to Recovery Limited’ an innovative international consultancy, training and publishing company with a cutting edge approach to supporting and improving mental health provision.

No comments: